Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Done school?

I sometimes question what the hell I'm doing with my life, and whether or not I will "make it".

Recent article by a friend has definitely eased my concerns. Check it out;

http://www.calgaryunderground.com/index.php/2011/04/done-school-what-now-2/

"The world seems to tell you that a higher education produces a level of security that protects you from certain situations more than someone with less education. I’m not disagreeing with that, but I do believe the entire concept needs to be reeled in a little bit and thought of rationally."

17 comments:

  1. Your friend is completely right! I like his thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i finished school 10 years ago
    feels bad man

    ReplyDelete
  3. me = finished college make 40k/year
    friends = high school dropouts make 60+k/year in the oil sands

    totally feels bad man

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yea it's really hard when you have to pay off all those loans...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This man. I agree with him completely. Was an interesting read too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fact. Very few friends of mine with their masters and PhDs make more than me as a 1-year tech school IT person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. its true - higher education makes me hate the things i used to love

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is why i'm not in an 8 to 5 job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm finishing school for 3 weeks I'm so happy ! Any1 happy with me ? CHEEEERS!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I concur. Society acts like college is the gateway to free, high paying jobs, and it just doesn't work that way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i read your friends thoughts and can pretty much agree and disagree with it. i have two sisters who went through many of years at university both still attend now although one close to home the other in south africa. neither get huge paychecks but enough to live a comfortable life while still studying.. but here in Australia we have huge university dropouts and the "bachelor of arts" or , i wanna dispose of 4 years of my life. but while my sisters are really intelligent.. i'm currently unemployed ha.. Also i don't know the differences in higher education between Aus and Usa..

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget