Saturday, February 12, 2011

Bow Corridor Regional Race

Today was the third race in the BCRR series. It's a regional race series that is aimed primarily at grass-roots/club level athletes. So, it's a "just-for-fun" race.

I chose to wax my own skis instead of having the coaches wax. Mostly because I'm a rebel, but actually it entirely because I didn't want to show up 1.5hours before the start of my race. The wax I opted to use was completely appropriate for the conditions at the time, unfortunately, they changed dramatically over the course of the race.

First lap of three was fantastic; I was running a comfortable pace and keeping everyone in my sights. But right as was started it began snowing heavily, and unfortunately I had not prepared for this circumstance. As the fresh snow covered the previously icy tracks, it began to cling aggressively to my skis. The third lap was incredibly difficult.

But my fitness, I felt awesome. I could push so hard my lungs were burning and I got tunnel vision, but my muscles just took the punishment and asked for more. Too bad I didn't feel like that at trials!

Next race is looking to be a Provincial level race in Grande Prairie. The 9 hour drive is gonna be buck!

20 comments:

  1. That's awesome. I envy your athletic ability. I would have passed out putting on the skies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. damn nice man.. i tried skiing once.. fell down right away :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice man, feels good to push your body to it's limits like that every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It' s been years since Ive skied, and it's so fun! Im jealous man!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never liked skiing but i think it's really good sport because it's excersize for whole body.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds awesome. Is ice better for cross country? I've only ever done downhill.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck bro! Hope you win the next race!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck bro, hope you win next time

    ReplyDelete
  9. keep it up man, you'll be kicking ass in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've heard that skiing is extremely exhausting. I know snowboarding was.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn, that sounds like fun... Go pro with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice, skiing is such a great work out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being from Vegas I can't ski often but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you should post a vid, would be interesting

    ReplyDelete
  15. glad you were able to keep up, i bet that felt amazing

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget